Summer Practice Period Online – Awakened By The Ten Thousand Dharmas
With Amy Kisei Costenbader, Sensei, Hogen Bays, Roshi, Jan Chozen Bays, Roshi, Jogen Salzberg, Sensei and Patrick Bansho Green
July 7 - August 23, 2020
Mountains and rivers right now are the actualization of the ancient Buddha way. Both mountains and rivers abide in their true form and actualize true virtue. Mountains and rivers transcend time and are alive in the eternal present. They are the original self and they are emancipation-realization. – Dogen Zenji
Join Great Vow Residents for our Summer Practice Intensive by increasing your commitment to dharma practice. The theme for our practice period Awakened by the Ten Thousand Dharmas, invites us into the Dharma of the natural world. The whole Earth and the Great Sky are speaking to us constantly. Teaching us to listen, to hear the joys and sorrows of the world, to see with sky eyes, dwell in the stability and presence of mountain mind and to embody tree-like rooted wisdom. We are inter-connected with all that lives. Let your Dharma practice be opened by the Ten Thousand Dharmas.
During this practice period we will study the Mountains and Waters Sutra by Dogen Zenji. Click here for a condensed version of the Sutra. Commentaries of the Mountains and Waters Sutra are available. We recommend Shohaku Okamura’s The Mountains and Waters Sutra: A Practitioner’s Guide to Dogen’s “Sansuikyo”.
Ways to Participate at Home:
- Read and Study the Mountains and Waters Sutra
- Join us for daily meditation at Great Vow via livestream every Tuesday – Sunday (click here for our livestream schedule) Great Vow LiveStream Page : http://bit.ly/gvzendo
- Join us for Body Practice Thursday evening from 7:30 – 8
- Classes on the Theme dates TBA
- Join us for Online retreats, visit the calendar page to register
- The Art of Coming Undone: Dharma Teachings on How to Fall Apart –July 10 – 11
- Transforming the Inner Critic Day Long Retreat — July 18
- Cultivating the Empty Field Sesshin — July 20 – 26
- A Day of Immersion in the Healing Powers of the Earth — August 1
- Being Mountain, Walking Mountain: Practices from the Mountains and Rivers Sutra — August 7 – 8
- Earth and Sky Sesshin — August 17 – 23
Commit to Participate in this Practice Period and you will be supported with
- Practice Instructions/Awareness Tasks on the theme will be sent out weekly
- Weekly on-line teas and practice discussions with Zen Teachers Jogen, Kisei and Bansho
- Committing to sit everyday for at least 20 minutes or increasing your daily or weekly sitting practice in a way that makes sense for your life.
- Spending time everyday outside, taking in the teachings of the natural world
- Doing at least one of the retreats offered during this time
- Attending one of the zoom practice nights
- Attending weekly teas and/or sanzen
Amy Kisei Costenbader is an ordained Zen priest who lives and practices at Great Vow Zen Monastery where she has trained since 2010. She received Dharma Transmission from Chozen and Hogen, Roshis in 202o. Kisei is the Director of Residency and current board president of Zen Community of Oregon, and teaches Thursday nights via Zoom.
Learn more about Amy Kisei Costenbader, Sensei
Hogen Bays, Roshi began practicing in 1968 with Philip Kapleau, Roshi and was part of the residential staff at Zen Center of Rochester in Rochester, New York until 1975. He lived and trained at Zen Center of Los Angeles under the direction of Taizan Maezumi, Roshi from 1980-1984. In 1990 he took priest’s ordination with Maezumi, Roshi. After advice and consultation with Harada, Roshi and other Zen teachers, in 2000 he received Dharma Transmission from Chozen, Roshi. Since 1990 Hogen has continued his Zen studies with Rinzai Zen teacher Shodo Harada, Roshi, abbot of Sogen-ji monastery in Japan and…
Learn more about Hogen Bays, Roshi
Jan Chozen Bays, Roshi has studied and practiced Zen Buddhism since 1973. She received Jukai (lay precepts) in 1975 and Tokudo, Priest’s Ordination, in 1979 from Taizan Maezumi, Roshi. From 1978 to 1983 she lived at Zen Center of Los Angeles, studying with Maezumi, Roshi and directing the Zen Center’s non-profit Medical Clinic. She finished formal koan study in 1983 and she was given Dharma transmission (authorization to teach) that same year. Following the death of Maezumi, Roshi in 1995 she has continued her training with Shodo Harada, Roshi, a Rinzai Zen teacher and the abbot of Sogen-ji monastery in…
Learn more about Jan Chozen Bays, Roshi
Jogen Salzberg, Sensei has been practicing Zen since 1997, he entered monastic training at Great Vow in 2003 and received Dharma Transmission from Chozen Bays, Roshi and Hogen Bays, Roshi in 2017. Since 2011. He has been a student of Dzogchen teacher Keith Dowman since 2011. Jogen leads a weekly meditation gathering at Heart of Wisdom, and DJ’s for the live-blended listening meditation event Beyond the Sound.
Learn more about Jogen Salzberg, Sensei
Patrick Bansho Green has been practicing Zen since 2004 and was made a Dharma Holder in 2015. From 2006-2012, he served as ZCO President and is the current Administrator. For twenty years, he worked nationally with labor unions on creative organizational change strategies.
Learn more about Patrick Bansho Green