Foundations: Online Course In Buddhism
November 7, 2020 - June 12, 2021
Begins Nov 7 (orientation Oct 31)
This is an 8-month education program for practitioners with the Zen Community of Oregon. This program brings people together twice a month through Dharma education and practice. Through study, presentations, group discussion and personal practice, this course provides an opportunity to learn experience the foundational Buddhist teachings.
Goals for the course
- Understanding of Buddhist teachings and history influenced by the unique expression of practice within the Zen Community of Oregon.
- Nurture a community of committed people of the Buddha Way.
- Provide a way for people to deepen their personal practice.
- Commitment to attend monthly Saturday class.
- Attendance at additional monthly small group practice discussion.
- Preparation (readings, video or audio talks) between classes.
- ZCO membership.
- Completion of application. The program is at no cost.
Schedule of Saturday classes (9am – noon)
- Saturday, October 31, 2020 (1 hour orientation)
- November 7, 2020
- December 19, 2020
- January 9, 2021
- February 13, 2021
- March 13, 2021
- April 10, 2021
- May 8, 2021
- June 12, 2021
In addition, monthly practice discussion groups will be organized after the class begins.
- Impermanence and the Aggregates
- The 4 Noble Truths
- The 8-fold Path
- Hindrances and their antidotes
- Satipatthana Sutta (The Four Foundations of Mindfulness)
- Divine abodes and Paramitas
- Emptiness and the Heart Sutra
- Overview of Mahayana, Theravada, and Vajrayana Buddhism
- Bodhisattva ideal and bodhisattva vows
- Ancestors and Lineage
- Teacher student relationship
- Rituals and home practice
- Ethics, Vows and Intention
- Current issues in Buddhism
- Sangha: structure and working of Zen Community of Oregon
- Meta-cognitive intelligence and concentration sprints
- Adding and subtracting intensity, enlivening and calming
- Directing intention…moving awareness within the body and from focal to expanded
- Identifying hindrances and the inner critic
- Paramitas and the Divine Abodes
Teacher presenters on core topics. Each gathering includes group breakouts, guided meditations or other experiential teaching.
Readings and dharma talks compiled by the instructors and shared as e-documents. Written materials support the experiential and presentations and organized around the theme of the particular gathering.
In between monthly classes, small groups will meet to share personal practice.
The course will be led by Zen Teacher Bansho and Dharma Holder Shonin.
Potential Guest Instructors –
Teachers – Fuho, Kodo, Jogen. Jomon, Kisei
Dharma Holder – Gensho.
Patrick Bansho Green
Darah Shonin Ashton