January Sesshin: Life Vows -A Six Day Online Meditation Retreat
January 18 - 24, 2021
Monday 7:30pm to Sunday 1pm
Led by Hogen Bays, Roshi and Zen teacher Jomon.
Through deep meditation we enter the clear stream of timelessness, and the direction we should flow becomes more evident.
This retreat brings the sesshin style practice container and personal reflection methods together for a powerful peering into your heart.
It is our intention to offer the supportive structure to allow you to do a week-long meditation retreat at home. You can participate to whatever degree your life allows. Consider the possibility to design your own retreat. Do a work/family sesshin. Take one day this week and make it a retreat day!
This retreat will take place through the zoom app. Registered participants will receive a zoom link a few days before the retreat begins.
Doing a retreat at home can be empowering, take up the practice in your own home and know the peace and clarity of mind in your own dwelling place! To support doing home retreat we recommend doing the following:
1. Reflect on your intention
2. Create a sacred space with a simple altar and meditation supports in a clean room that allows for calm/peace of mind
3. Commit to a schedule, we have a schedule posted below. We ask that you commit to at least 4 hours of meditation a day. Part-time attendance is welcome. Join for a day, the weekend or the whole week. Please let us know the dates you plan to attend.
4. Give up or reduce media, phone and extra computer use for the duration of the retreat
5. Keep the practice going during the “breaks” by engaging with Mindful Eating during meals and choosing simple work (gardening, cleaning, etc.), body practice/exercise (walking, yoga, qi gong) or creative projects that support your meditation practice/intention.
6. Consider being in silence for the whole retreat or practicing silence for specific periods during the day.
7. If you live with others, communicate with them what your intention is for this week of practice and ask them to support you
Sesshin Schedule (updated as of 1/18/2020, times are Pacific Standard Time)
8:30 Zazen/Opening Talk
Tuesday – Saturday
7:30 Chanting Service
9:15 Questions for the day/Work Practice
11:50 Friends Group 1
12:50 Chanting service
4:00 Teacher time
5:20 Chanting Service
7:00 Teisho (Dharma Talk)
8:00 Friends Group 2
9:20 Formal Tea/Zazen
10:00 Closing rounds
6:00 Zazen/Closing Remarks
7:00 Closing Circle
10:00 Sunday Program Chanting Service/Zazen
11:30 Dharma Talk
Hogen Bays, Roshi
Laura Jomon Martin