Great Vow Zen Monastery - click for details
- Take I-5 to exit 36 "Longview" (south of Seattle, north of Portland).
- At the exit go west on to 432 towards Longview City Center.
- Turn left (south) onto "Oregon Way" at the sign to “Highway 30 to Oregon”.
- Cross the Lewis and Clark Bridge into Oregon.
- Turn right (west) onto Hwy 30 towards Astoria. You will enter Clatskanie after about 12 miles.
- Turn right at the stoplight, on Nehalem Street, immediately before Humps Restaurant.
- Go straight to the end, and then follow the road left on to 5th street.
- Stay on this road; do NOT take the first left fork to the Poplar Farm.
- You will reach a fork after 2.9 miles; stay left, on Mayger Rd. – following the street signs saying "Zen Monastery".
- The monastery is 1.8 miles past the fork, at 79640 Quincy-Mayger Rd. (Clatskanie, OR)
- Look for the "Zen Monastery" mailbox.
Watch out for changing speed zones in Clatskanie (45, 35, 25)!
By Bus or Train
Greyhound and Amtrak both have service to the Kelso/Longview station in WA, which is a short drive from the monastery. Columbia County Rider offers shuttle service from this station to the monastery for about $10.
- Greyhound - 1-800-231-2222
- Amtrak - 1-800-872-7245
- Columbia County Rider - 503-366-0159 (they need 48 hours notice)
Great Vow is about 75 miles NW of the Portland airport. Once at the Portland airport there are two options for getting to the monastery. If you arrive on Thursday or Sunday afternoon it is possible that someone from the monastery could provide transportation. You must call the monastery and arrange this before purchasing your ticket.
Or you can use Blue Star Bus. Blue Star Bus offers one-way service from the Portland airport to Great Vow for roughly $100, cash or credit card to the driver. The bus runs every half hour, from 8 am to midnight; advance reservation advised.
Phone: 1-800-247-2272 – may only work from inside USA