Preparing to Take the Five Precepts
"If people honored these simple precepts, many of the world’s problems would disappear. One person’s taking the Five Precepts and living in accord with them benefits everyone."
—Zen Teacher Hogen Bays
These classes will be held on the five Sundays in September from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m.:
1. I vow not to kill, but to cherish all life.
Sunday, September 1
2. I vow not to steal, but to respect the things of others.
Sunday, September 8
3. I vow not to misuse sexual energy, but to be honest and respectful in mind and action.
Sunday, September 15
4. I vow not to lie, but to speak the truth.
Sunday, September 22
5. I vow not to misuse drugs or alcohol, but to keep the mind clear.
Sunday, September 29
Everyone is welcome to attend the classes, whether or not you are a member, or are preparing to take these vows.
Please read the brochure Taking the Five Precepts for more information.
Ryushin Creedon, Temple Priest
Ryushin Creedon is the Temple Priest for Heart of Wisdom Zen Temple. He began formal Zen training with Chozen and Hogen Bays in 2000, living and training at Great Vow Zen Monastery from 2001-2010. Ryushin was ordained in 2005, and currently serves on the board for both ZCO and the Soto Zen Buddhist Association. He lives in Portland, and attends PSU. Ryushin works at PSU as a Peer Mentor, and at the Portland Sobering Station as an EMT.